Vented crawlspaces are a great option provided that:
1. They are kept clean and dry (with proper site drainage)
2. Ventilation is kept open and free flowing.
A. ENCAPSULATE FLOOR WITH LOW DENSITY SPRAY FOAM (LDSPF)
B. STEM WALL
C. 6 MIL POLYETHYLENE BARRIER WITH 12″ LAPPED SEAMS
- Minimum Net Area: 1 square foot for each 150 square feet of under-floor space area.
- Minimum Net Area when soil barrier is installed with 12” lapped seams: 1 square foot for each 1,500.
- Install vents within 3 feet of each corner of the building to encourage cross flow ventilation.
Hammer & Hand’s Best Practices Manual is covered by a Creative Commons license that allows for redistribution, commercial and non-commercial, as long as content is passed along unchanged and in whole, with credit to Hammer & Hand. If any piece is shared online, it is required to credit Hammer & Hand and include a link to the relevant source page at https://hammerandhand.com/best-practices/manual/.